NYCLASS supports City Council Intro. 86A, sponsored by Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito. This legislation calls for a phase-out of horse carriages in New York City and replacing them with the 21st Century "Horseless Carriage".
There are viable alternatives to carriage horses that will avoid the safety and quality of life issues currently faced by New York City's residents and its horses. NYCLASS has partnered with The Creative Workshop in Dania Beach, Florida to design and create fully electric, vintage-replica vehicles to replace the horse-drawn carriages. These electric cars can provide rides for tourists, offer jobs to workers currently in the horse carriage industry with the potential for higher wages, and maintain the historic and romantic feel of the tours.
What will happen to the horses? NYCLASS and the ASPCA have pledged to find and fund loving "retirement homes" for all 220 NYC carriage horses when the legislation passes. No horse will be sent to slaughter!
Important Facts about the Horseless Carriage
- Authentically styled and constructed to replicate turn of the century cars with a target build date of 1909.
- Ergonomic body design provides comfortable and safe 7 passenger seating.
- Cars will be propelled solely by electric power. Lithium-ion batteries provide cutting edge, clean energy.
- Raised "stadium" seating, "parasol" convertible top and lowered driver cockpit area provide 360degree viewing.
- All-weather driving: Heating system and roll down clear sides provide comfort in cold weather, snow or rain.
- Suspension and steering designed to provide authentic "turn of the century" drive expereince.
- Up to 10 hours of drive time per charge.
- Cars will each be personalized to create a palette of unique and aesthetically pleasing cars.
- Regenerative deceleration charges batteriews whenever car is slowing down.
- Cars will travel at a low 5mph in the park and will be able to keep up with city traffic on the street.
- Vehicles will qualify for federal tax credits.
- The 21st Century Horseless Carriage will be manufactured locally in one of the five boroughs, creating jobs and bringing a new industry to the City.
The eco-friendly replicas will substantially increase revenue for New York City, encourage tourism and be completely cruelty-free. These 21st Century Horseless Carriages will put a spotlight on New York City as the leader in urban ecotourism, creating a unique and memorable experience for visitors from all corners of the world.
We are currently in the final planning stages of our life-size working prototype. We expect to have it ready for a pilot program by the end of 2013.
NYCLASS needs your help to get the City Council to pass a law banning carriage horses from New York's streets and replacing them with profitable, safe and stately replica classic cars. Please visit our Take Action page to get involved.